As winners of NONT 2017 Kullari Rover Crew is happy to accept the opportunity to organise NONT in 2018.
The Buffalo Rovers are hitting the road and need you help to navigate their way to woop whoop and beyond the black stump.
What is NONT?
NONT (Night Observation and Navigation Trial) is an annual themed event run by South Australian Rovers in which teams pack themselves, like sardines, into vehicles to complete a night navigation trial. Each team will need to decipher a range of puzzles in order to obtain the correct route to each checkpoint. On route, points can be obtained by identifying and recording navigational markers or Observations. At each checkpoint, teams will have the opportunity to have some fun and compete for points by completing the themed activities.
Dress up as your favourite character, bring along your favourite australian beverage, or your Fj40 or corolla (more iconic australian the better)
When & Where
3rd of June 2017. Start times (1:30pm - 6:30pm) for each team will be advertised closer to the event.
Start Point: Laratinga Wetlands Mt Barker
Half Way Point (Venturer End Point): Strathalbyn Scout Hall
End Point: Strathalbyn Scout Hall
Teams are made up of as many people as you can legally fit into one car. There are three classes:
- Venturer Class - 15-18 years old. Needs a fully licensed leader to drive. Finishes at the Halfway Point, driving only half the course.
- Rover Class - 18-26 years old. Drives the course up to half way, has a 30min safety stop, then drives the second half of the course to the finish.
- Open Class - 26+ years young. Drives the same course as Rover Class
The first half of the course usually finishes 12am-1am. The second half that Rover and Open Class do, finishes anywhere from 3am-4am. The whole course should take 8-9 hours including puzzle solving, driving and activities. Rover and Open Class can choose to only drive the course up to the Halfway Point. If your team wants to do this, let us know either in advance or on the night.
For Venturer Class teams, there is no charge for the first driver. Any other drivers in the car will pay full price. (ie. Car of five will pay $80 all up)
Individual or team payments are payable to:
Buffalo Rover Crew
BSB: 805 050
Account Number: 9015 2548
Please use first initial and surname as reference eg. NONT F Bloggs
EFT payments are preferred. Please advise via the email below if you would like to pay cash on the day of the event.
Applications & Forms
You have two wonderfully convenient ways to enter a team and hand in your forms!!
B. OR, Print the form, fill in and bring with you on the night.
All teams will be able to check-in and collect course notes at their allocated arrival time and have 1 hour to be scrutineered and start solving puzzles before starting the course. You will not be able to leave until your allocated start time. This gives you a chance to get some mapping done beforehand rather than after you leave.
Team entries on the day will NOT be accepted.
What you need
Your team will need the following:
- A registered and roadworthy vehicle
- 350km minimum fuel range. Any extra petrol being carried must be contained in a legal, well sealed and secured container
- Spare tyre, jack, jack handle, wheel brace and two planks of wood (15x30x1cm) for use under jack in soft ground
- Spade or shovel (camp size or larger)
- 5 metre tow rope (minimum 12mm diameter or commercial tow rope)
- Two working torches
- First aid kit
- Mobile phone (fully charged)
- A street directory
- Pencil/Pen and eraser (Pencils are particularly useful)
Bonus items are things you bring with you to NONT and get you extra points for when you are scrutineered.
- FJ cruiser
- Esky (stocked)
- Cork hat
- Black manikin hand
- Toilet Paper
- Dressed in theme – Note: country is different to bogan
- Geocaching – any done on the night will be given points
Start times will be released closer to the event. Keep an eye out for them!
Want to help out?
Send us an email! We're always looking for helpers!